Make a difference on local, state, and national levels.
Music education in our country is threatened. Programs are heavily influenced by those who do not understand their importance. The good news is that every music educator can make a difference, as our community joins together to support access to quality music education for every child!
- Stay up-to-date on the latest proposals and educational policy from Columbus, the state Department of Education, and Capitol Hill.
- Promote reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, with music enumerated as a core subject – a key component in advancing the vision of well-rounded music instruction for all students.
- Enlist our help in addressing the latest issues facing teachers, such as securing school funding, minimizing mandatory testing’s impact in the classroom, and the expansion of regular sequential music instruction.
- We are an engaged organization, in tune with the latest arguments for teacher evaluation and student assessment. During the development of OTES, OMEA was proactive in the development of the SLO process as it applies to music teachers and music students.
- Join the broader minded™ movement and show members of your community how music’s demonstrative impact extends far beyond the classroom.
- Engage in local music education advocacy, through OMEA’s alliances with many arts advocacy organizations.
- Follow the move from STEM to STEAM.
- Connect with your elected officials, and make a difference!